Appe is a South Indian dish prepared with rice and dal for breakfast. First of all, let’s see it’s benefits. It contains rice which is a good source of carbohydrates and Dal which gives us proteins, therefore, it is important from health point of view. Anyways additionally you will enjoy a dish with different taste. So let’s start preparing Appam/Appe dish.
|Course: Snacks Cuisine: Indian|
»»» Equipment Needed –
→ Appam Pan
→ Wet Grinder (optional, You can use mixer for preparing batter)
Watch Recipe Video
First of all,wash and soak rice and all dals in separate vessels for 3 to 4 hours. Maybe you can take considerable more or less time as per requirement.
Once above step is completed,blend soaked rice and dals in a mixer or grinder to prepare a smooth paste (Maintain consistency almost like an idly batter). Add salt to the batter and mix it well. Finally keep the batter aside for fermentation for 8 to 9 hours.
Take green chilies, curry leaves , coconut, and garlic. Grind these to make a smooth paste (Also you can add 1to 2 spoons of water while making this paste).
Now add paste prepared in above step and onion to the batter. Now we are ready to go to Kitchen.
Initially, put appe pan on the stove. Allow some time to heat and pour few drop of oil in the pan it so that batter will not stick to the pan. Now pour adequate batter in pan and make sure that batter is not wasted.
Now allow some time to heat it on medium flame .Turn it upside down till its color changes to golden brown.
Now remove appam from pan and your appam is ready. Serve it with a chatni to your loved ones. Don't waste much time because the taste of appam is awesome when it's hot.
>>Recipe Notes –
1. Don’t cook it on high flame otherwise, it will not cook properly inside.
2. You can also add other Vegetables (Beans, Carrot, Cabbage, Capsicum) to prepare Vegetable Appe/Appam. This will enhance the nutritional values and taste.
3. You can add Spinach to the same batter and make Spinach Appe/ Appam.
4. If you are in a hurry and can’t wait till the batter gets fermented, you can heat 2 spoons of oil in a small vessel add ¼ teaspoon of Baking Soda and add this to the batter and stir it vigorously so that batter can be used instantly.
5. If you think that the consistency of your batter is thin, mix fine Suji (Rava) or Rice Flour to the batter and keep it aside for 15 to 20 minutes.
Breakfast, South Indian